Thursday, February 25, 2010

Coming Home...

I have been so struck lately with the idea that after 14 years, we are finally moving home. The thought is very surreal to me. I can't believe in just over 3 months, it will be a reality.

I can't stop thinking about the fact that when a cousin or neice or nephew gets baptized or goes on a mission or whatever, we will actually just be able to go to it.

I can't imagine the idea of getting together on a regular basis for Sunday dinner with my parents, or Gary's siblings.

I realized the other day that I know where things are kept in my mother's kitchen. I know where they are kept in my mother-in-law's kitchen. I even have a basic idea of where things are kept in the kitchen's of Gary's sisters. It boggles my mind to realize that they might all come to be just as familiar with my kitchen and my life.

Family is supposed to be able to come over to your house, take their shoes off, get comfy on the couch and use the couch blanket without asking, only I've never had family around my house much. I think it'd be nice though. They could also eat food out of my pantry without asking. It would be nice to be close enough with someone for that. Come to think of it, Kelly and I are that close, but unfortunately, she and I don't get to crash at each others homes very often. I'm also realizing that my parents would probably be comfortable helping themselves to a leftover cinnamon roll or whatever. I think the thing that is blowing my mind is that there will actually be family around to do these sorts of things.

We will be able to go to the sporting events and musical recitals of our cousins. And much to the delight of my parents, family can finally come when my kids have something going on. My kids deserve for someone to come, camera in hand, to make a fuss out of their big events. I'm thinking grandparents are just the right people for that job.

I can't believe I'll get to ski and bike with my mother and go to doctor's appointments with my father. (Yes, I noticed that the activity I listed for dad doesn't seem nearly as fun as those I listed for mom. I know dad and I will do fun things too, but I honestly hate that I haven't been able to be a part of his cancer treatment. Haven't been able to be there for him and mom. Hence the strange excitement about doctor's appointments)

I can't believe Gary and I will be able to do lunch with our loved ones, see movies with them, go help them when they need babysitting, help moving, or whatever else. I can't believe when my parents get people together in the summer for a backyard bar-b-que we can just go without it being a big production.

That's part of the problem with living out of town. Every time we are around family, it's a big production. It's always Christmas, where everyone is ready to lose their minds in the first place, or sometimes it's just that we are trying to see everyone we know in 7 days or less and so we are exhausted and stressed. I think it will be lovely to just hang out. Leisurely afternoon shopping, making a birthday cake for someone's birthday together, having hot-cocoa late at night with some family member who just stopped by. These are the kind of things we haven't been able to do with loved ones for ages.

And don't think I've forgotten friends. After this year in Cincinnati where there are certainly some nice ladies, but where I really don't have any close friends (just not enough time) it will be nothing short of fabulous for me to have friends around again. There are so many of you who either never left Utah, or have moved there since we knew you that it makes me happy just thinking about it. Hopefully we'll even get to see friends who still live in Washington. Lots of you have family in Utah and hopefully you'll stop by now and again. (Then you can be the crazy, stressed ones trying to see everyone you know in 7 days or less:)

Well, that's probably enough rambling for now. Just wanted you to know how much I've been thinking about coming home. We've missed truly being a part of your lives all these years. Probably goes without saying at this point, but you are all invited over once we are there. Drop by any time. You are always welcome in our home. We'll just be so happy to have you there.

Jenn

7 comments:

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Melissa actually said ...

I'm certainly looking forward to a lunch together. Can't wait to see you and catch up!

The Keys Family said...

If we come can I eat out of your pantry too?? LOL Ha ha, I totally know what you mean. You are soo blessed to be able to go live by your family... happy planning!

Q said...

I'm excited for you and your family! We miss family too, just not as long as you have.

thehalvs said...

Yes Jamie, you are welcome to eat out of my pantry any time-

Melissa- please save me a lunch date-

And Q, wish you were around. I'm hopeful you will be again!

Nat said...

can't hardly stand it! three short months. wow! we are so excited too! my pantry is fair game too- just putting that out there. of course you must like beans, brown rice and dried fruit or you are out of luck. i do keep a big bag of chocolate chips from costco hidden for those emergency chocolate chip cookie times.

Book Girl said...

Can't believe after so many years we will actually be able to take a short drive to see your children, play soccer, perform in a musical event, or just have Sunday dinner together!! Please don't wake me and tell me I am dreaming....