Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day #2 - Museum of Modern Art

Gary and I always thought the Hirshorn Museum of Modern Art was kind of fun, so on this trip we decided it was worth a quick peek. We had no idea how much the kids would like it. There is no doubt it was their favorite museum in D.C. I guess you never can tell!





I'll be the first to admit that I do not know most of the artists who have their work in this museum, but even I knew this one was Andy Warhol. Gary and I stated as much when we walked in the room. We hadn't looked at the label on the wall yet, so we were barraged with kids asking, "Are you sure?" "How can you tell?" "I don't think you really know." "Are you sure you're sure?" Well kids, we were sure.



















We didn't know this artists work right when we saw it, but we sure did know his name once we read it! Any guesses? The next two are his.





(Did anyone guess Picasso? Well give yourself a gold star for the day. By the way- The hand is apparently a sculpture of his own hand. I'm thinking it's pretty tricky to sculpt your own hand with your own hands...)

















So here is the funniest story from our trip. Not all of the modern art in this museum is readily identifiable as art. Sure, most things look like a painting or look like a sculpture, but sometimes you walk into a room, and the room itself is the canvas. We don't really have pics of any, because it's hard to capture on film. For instance, one room had long pieces of yarn attached to the ceiling and then to the floor all in straight lines, placed randomly about the room. Another room was very dark and you had to be led in by a guide. As you sat there and your eyes began to adjust, the shadows etc. created by the angles of the room was the art. Far out there I know, but that's what you get at a modern art museum.

So we go into this one room and there is a label on the wall like there usually is. There is rope sectioning off a part of the room like there usually is. Behind the rope was contruction stuff. Rather neatly arranged we thought, no sawdust on the floor or anything, and we honestly couldn't decide if it was an art display or not. As were pondering, one of the museum docents came up and told us to get out because this room is under construction. Oh. Oops! I'm just saying you can never tell with modern art. Lauren and Audrey ran back in to take a picture. Tanner still maintains that he doesn't care what the lady said, in his mind it's art and he likes it. What do you think?



4 comments:

Rachelle said...

what a great experience and the bonus is that your kids are old enough to remember. We always think it's sort of sad that all the neat things we see over here will most likely be forgotten by our children. Oh well, I guess that's what college trips to Europe are for!

Book Girl said...

Looks like so much fun. Glad they liked the "modren art" museum - and yes I know it is not spelled correctly - an inside joke. Thanks for the great pictures - one request - please give the camera to someone else in your family Jenn. You are not in any of the photos!

The Turman's said...

I love the construction art!

marci said...

I just peeked in to see how you all are doing and to say howdy from Puyallup!