Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's not about the bike


It is interesting to have kids that are old enough to be legitimately better at things than I am. Audrey might well be a better violinist than I am pianist, and if she's not, she's darn close. (Don't tell her I said so!) And while I'm very used to Gary being better at biking than I am, I was unprepared for Tanner's first real mountain bike ride. While my endurance is pretty good, when it comes to technical skills, Tanner already has me beat. What a stinker! I'm thinking maybe it's a combination of youth and maleness. I do not posses either of these things. So while my age and decided femaleness make me generally afraid of crashing, bleeding, bones breaking, etc. I think Tanner doesn't quite have the same fear. Crazy thing is, I think he and Gary don't crash as often as I do. There must be a confidence factor in play here. And all this while Tanner rides a rather crummy bike and I'm on a fairly nice full-suspension bike. Not because I warrant it mind you, just because my hubby is sweet. I guess Lance Armstrong is right, it really isn't about the bike. Nonetheless, I can already see Gary making bike purchasing plans for Tanner.

Anyway, we had a great time and I think Tan will join Gary for plenty of mountain biking in the future. I suppose I will sometimes tag along too, but I might stick more to my road bike. No rocks, roots, mud, gravel, branches, blackberry thorns (you get the idea?) to deal with on the nice, smooth road. I really am old!












Photos of myself included because mom gets on Kelly and me when we don't:)

1 comment:

Book Girl said...

Go Tanner! Glad to hear you have mad mountain biking skills at your young age. Sorry Jenn that you have too much estrogen to measure up, some things in life really are not fair. Love you tons, G. Lynn