
We at the Halversen household have a serious problem. I blame it on my parents. I don't remember watching much TV growing up. I only knew that Bo and Luke Duke entered their car through the windows because of what friends at school told me. I watched a little 'Polka Dot Door' with my sister when she was little, but truly, not much TV going on.
The one exception to this rule? Olympics. We were nuts about the Olympics. Still are as it turns out. I'm especially nuts for the swimming. Since I swam in high-school, I'm a woman possesed. By the way, someone needs to find video of me swimming from sometime other than my very first swim meet ever when I about died trying to do the 100-fly. It's all Gary's ever seen, and I'm tired of explaining that I really did figure it out eventually.
At any rate, I love the swimming. Michael Phelps makes me so happy I can't see straight. Every time he raced, there was much screaming, yelling, and general hoopla at our house. When he out-touched Cavic in the 100 fly, I thought we were all going to need some sort of emergency intervention to get our hearts going again. I love Dara Torres because she is 41 swimming against 16 year olds, and beating most all of them I might add! I love the gymnastics, but I get all hot-headed when I think the scoring is a total ripoff. I love the beach volleyball, although those women should put on some clothing. I loved the look on Ian Thorpe's face when Phelps won the 8th gold. I love the Olympics music. (Yeah, you know it 'Da-da-da-da-da-da datada da-da-da-da-da-da!) I love the guy who won the first Olympic medal ever for Togo in kayaking. I love Bela Karolyi. I love the diving even though (as my mother puts it) the Chinese make everyone else look stupid. I cried for the Brazilian guy who was trying to win the first gymnastics medal for his country and fell on his very last tumbling run. I love the cycling, I love Phelp's mother, and I think I might even have a little crush on Bob Costas. Okay, not really, but it sounded funny so I had to write it.
Like I told you, it's a problem. Gary is almost as obsessed as I am. He has a thing with the medal count. It kills him that we are just barely winning the medal count this year, and China is whooping us when it comes to gold medals. Maybe the track and field guys will get their rear-ends moving and put a smile on my husband's face. See, it's a problem. I know I'm passing the problem along to my own kids, but I can't help it! I love the Olympics. Go USA!
1 comment:
I love this post and I have to say that we at the Tanner household have been guilty of being late night viewers of the Olympics too. It was fun to have Kelly here with us as we became sleep deprived yet happy to see the likes of Michael, Shawn and so many more make us proud back here in the USA. Thanks for sharing. Love you tons, Mom xoxoxo
Post a Comment