Saturday, November 15, 2008

NaPoleoN DynaNIGHT

Well here it is. Proof that our family is as crazy as you always suspected we were. Once a year we celebrate a holiday that is not a holiday at all. Sort of like Festivus. It's a 'Halversen Holiday' that we call Napoleon Dynanight. This is a true holiday in every sense. (Well, except that no one else recognizes it) We have traditional food, costumes, a traditional holiday dessert, decorations and all the rest. Told you we were crazy.



Obviously the tradition is to watch "Napoleon Dynamite," but there is more to it. We eat food for dinner inspired by the movie. Usually gristly steak, tater tots, and red gatorade. There is always a "Felicidades Pedro" cake. I have spent several years searching at thrift shops for costume pieces that resemble those worn by various characters in the movie. We own four 'Vote for Pedro' shirts. And you wondered why someone would own even one. We even have a few decorations. I'm particularly fond of the big mouth bass. Don't worry, we didn't pay full price. I got it at Goodwill. I'm not that nuts. We also have a picture of the kids in front of the actual Uncle Rico van. Yes, once on the way home from a trip to Utah we went though Preston (filming location for the movie) and got to see Preston High and the van. We could not however, locate Tina the llama or Napoleon's house. Apparently they are both there somewhere. It was a Sunday, so the place with the maps (yes there are maps) was closed.

We also each have a paper bag full of Napoleon items. We get these items out at the appropriate point during the movie and use them, wear them, eat them as the case may be. We have things like chapstick, Big League Chew, time traveling crystals, and Mexican flags for Pedro. The big finale is at the end of the movie when the kids do their best to dance with Napoleon. The slideshow covers most of the night and the videos are of the kids dancing. Don't remember why we got the dancing in two parts. Last time we did this was about a month ago and I'm too old and crazy to remember things from a month ago. At least the video is right side up! Anyway, enjoy and feel free to mock.


11 comments:

M.Howerton said...

I Love IT!! If my kids were a tad older, I would totally do this! This should be a recognized holiday somewhere!

Joe Urvina said...

That is AWESOME!

Kim said...

You are an AWESOME mom! These are the kind of crazy traditions that your kids will remember and probably carry on with their own kids. (Scary thought) Who knows, maybe one of them will be in a position to make it a real holiday someday. You are a true inspiration!

the kings said...

funniest post EVER by the halversen crew! I've watched these videos like four times and I am still laughing! :)

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

Ha, ha!! Love it!! Especially the part where kids realize that they are secretly being video taped...Ha, Ha!! That Audry can shake a tail feather, NiCe mOVes!! I hope she forgives you soon :) What great parents you guys are! By the way...we have a 'Vote for Pedro t-shirt'...not so abnormal.

Book Girl said...

What a great video. Thanks for letting us have a glimpse of the Halversen crew celebrating your non-traditional holiday. Audrey you have the moves! Thanks for sharing. Love, Grandma Lynn

Ann said...

You have my kind of family Jennifer! I was cracking up at the video. That pic of Annie in the puffy sleeves reminds me of a very incriminating and funny pic I have of you at BYU in a leotard over clothes (remember the Buff Chicks/Chucks?!).

thehalvs said...

The kids did forgive me. I had to let Audrey make brownies in the middle of the day for no good reason. Small price to pay on my part for such blogging bliss!

SabinJT said...

That is awesome!! By the way if you ever are in need of a shirt with Tina on it we have one that says Tina you fat lard come get your dinner... Now that is a shirt pretty much no one has!! We just may need to start a similar tradition at our house!!

Phat Bri said...

I love it! Your kids have some great moves. That is going to be some great blackmail footage later on! I love that you can still catch them being themselves.

thehalvs said...

7 months later and you are still not entirely forgiven.
-Audrey (not laughing)