
Today's musing is about soccer.
When I was little I played soccer for one season. Maybe two. But probably just one. I don't remember for sure. The only part of it I much cared for were the dandelions in the field. I was one of those kids who was too busy with flowers and bees and possibly my shoelaces to notice that the ball was headed my direction.
Later in life I grew to appreciate the sport more. My high-school boyfriend played and I used to go to some of his games. Then I met Gary and went to some of his BYU games. He is a huge soccer fan. Been playing and watching all his life. After marrying him, I was treated to more soccer games as well as middle of the night celebratory dances when Brazil won the World Cup. (Thanks goodness for DVR, this coming summer Gary can watch the games at a normal hour!)
Enter Ethan. He plays soccer all the time. We finally gave up on the 'no soccer in the house' rule as long as he keeps the ball on the ground. He comes home from school every day, does his chores and homework, then immediately dons his cleats and heads for the back yard. Ethan's favorite part of the new house is the back yard. It's big enough for his own personal soccer field and he's in heaven.
(Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa.)
Extra points if you can name that movie.
I watch him out there as I do dishes or cook dinner or whatever, and he'll set up the cones and run drills. Then he'll find every soccer ball we own and line them up to practice shooting. Sometimes he'll run windsprints, sometimes he'll work on ball handling. Usually after a while he returns to the house to hunt down recruits. He often gets Gary or Tanner or even me out there to pass with him or play a little one on one. He has very good skills for a kid his age, and so he usually beats me. Okay, he always beats me. I'm not sure I've ever seen a kid love something so much. On second thought, Audrey and music has to be close. Anyway, I look at him and the word that comes to mind is determination.
Who knows what his future soccer career will hold. A lot of it will depend on how hard he continues to work, but we'll continue to give him every opportunity we can. Maybe he'll play through high school and love every minute of it. Maybe he'll even play in college or fulfill what are I'm sure are my husband's secret dreams of him one day leading the USA to to the World Cup. Maybe he'll play a few more years and find another sport or activity he loves even more. Who knows. All I know is for now I am so thrilled that my kid has something that makes his heart sing. It always brings a smile to his face and by association, a smile to mine.
If you are in town any Saturday over the next month or so, grab a camping chair and a bottle of water, you are officially invited to one of his games.


Ethan loves this picture of himself looking rather like 'Kaka,' one of Brazil's best players. Too bad mommy's camera and photoshop program aren't as good as professional-sports-photographer-man's. Oh well.



Ethan was freaked out this whole game trying to figure out if they let a girl on the other team, or if a boy really had hair like that. It's an all-boys league, so I guess wacky hair is the correct answer.
5 comments:
That is great that he has found something he loves. As I read your post, I thought of Carter; they sound just alike! Too bad they don't live closer together, they could be practice buddies.
The movie is Field of Dreams ... leave it to me to know the quote. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but that's one of our favorite things to do. My family HATES it, but Jeremiah and I sure do have a lot of fun!
Yes! The movie is Field of Dreams. Melissa wins lunch with me next summer when we move to Utah.
I have heard that Carter is quite the soccer player and am thinking when we move next year we should hook them up! I also have a whole thing going on in my head about making Natalie introduce me to the world of triathalons, but that is for another day. If I can just figure out how to run without trashing my knees I'll be in business...
YAY!!! another triathlon friend. you've got it! you may be sorry you let that thought slip from your head. but hey- you have the hardest part mastered-the swim! our boys would be great soccer partners. would next summer get here already!
The pictures of Ethan at his soccer game are so appreciated- thank you. Jenn I think you captured his intensity, focus and drive. I remember the dandelion days - one season I think. So excited to be with you all soon.
Post a Comment