
I'm convinced everyone has one. A recipe. That recipe that you turn to when you are running short on time. This is the recipe that you make because a) you tend to have all the ingredients on hand b) it's easy and it always turns out and c) it isn't too terribly unhealthy nor too terribly untasty. Pretty sure that's not a word, but whatever.
I put this to you because my sister-in-law (hi Laurel) recently asked for some of these recipes. She is bored of her own stand-bys. As I went to look for her, I realized I really only have a few that meet all these criteria.
Furthermore, my mom recently gave me her Ward's cookbook. There are many tasty looking items in there, (and like any good Mormon cookbook, is fully 1/3 desserts!) but many don't look promising for every day cooking. I think people put their holiday and company recipes in those books. That's what I do. And these recipes are great except that who has enough time to make them between violin and soccer, or else they are just too rich to eat every day.
So, share your go-to recipe with me.
Nothing too long or complicated. Thanks all!
Here is mine:
Taco Soup
(Gary calls it 'can soup' because of how many cans are sitting on the counter after I make it. But, canned items are what make this recipe so easy.)
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cans Mexican syle chili benas, undrained
1 can corn (or equivalent amount of frozen corn)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can chopped green chilies
taco seasoning and ranch dressing seasoning to taste
(Maybe 1/2 an envelope of each)
You may need to add a little water too
Cook beef and onion. Add the rest. Heat up.
Seriously, you have to love any recipe where the instructions are but three steps long. Serve with corn chips, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese and olives. I usually make cornbread muffins from a mix to really make it seem like I worked. If you have a little more time and/or want it a little healthier, cooked, cut-up chicken breasts work fine instead of the beef.
Happy Cooking!
5 comments:
Here is one of my favorite crockpot recipes--It is Johhny Carinos Bowtie Festival. Here is the link:
http://thecookinmamas.blogspot.com/2008/08/bowtie-festival.html
To make it a tad healthier--I use low fat cream of chicken soup, less of the bacon bits and I half the butter.
I also like to use shredded swiss cheese instead of cubed, it melts better. The last hour of cooking, I shred up the chicken and serve it on the side (not all of my kids like the sauce) and then the kids can eat the chicken with the pasta sauce or without. I also add sliced green onions a diced tomatoes that last hour.
My family loves this--I serve with a salad and french bread.
thank you!
Do you ever make Hawaiian Haystacks?
So easy and fun & yummy for the whole family.
Hawaiian Haystacks:
Make steamed rice. (I make 3 cups which makes 6 cups when cooked)
In a saucepan, heat a can of cream of chicken soup and two cans of cooked chicken. I add Mrs. Dash to taste.
Then, get out all the toppings. You can add anything from your pantry you'd like but some favorites are:
-celery
-green onion
-sweetened coconut flakes
-chopped maraschino cherries
-tomatoes
-toasted almonds or roasted peanuts
-cheddar cheese, shredded
-raisins
-chow mein noodles
-pineapple chunks or tidbits
-soy sauce
Start with a bed of rice and then a dollop of the chicken mixture. Let everyone pick and choose what toppings they want. It's colorful, has great texture and flavor. Also makes for great table conversation as everyone likes to defend why their mixture is the best! ;)
I make taco soup as well. My kids love to eat theirs with Fritos Scoops as their 'spoons'.
Thanks to you too! Also, I can't find what I did with your email address. Can I have it again? Jenn
Sure! It's on my profile here...just don't want to type it out for everyone. ;) Write me when you can!
Post a Comment