Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Family Photo

While we were in Utah, my fabulous husband turned fORtY! (Notice that was my first ever attempt at doing the trendy 'capitalizing in the wrong place' thing.
How do you think I did?)

We had a big party for him with lots of friends and family from all over Utah. It was so much fun for us. Thank you to everyone who came. I was so busy during the party I didn't get any pictures. (If anyone wants to email me some, I'll gladly accept) As the party was winding down, the Halversens decided it would be a good time for an impromptu family photo. I mean why not? All the siblings and spouses were there (a rare occasion), we were in a pretty park, and it was a beautiful evening.

Well, I think perhaps family photos are just not meant to go well. It sounds simple, doesn't it? Everyone stand over there, look happy, and I'm going to snap a few pictures. Hah! Never that easy.

Gary's sister Maren decided she just really didn't want to stand next to their sister Heidi. No reason, just didn't feel like getting too close. The whole family spent a good deal of time trying to convince her to cuddle up, but with limited success. Finally I decided that taking a video clip of the whole thing might be big fun. Here's a little taste of the experience.

"See this space? Move over closer to me so there's no space between us...."


Failure to comply.


"Look how there is no space between the two of us. You and Heidi are sisters, you like each other, it's okay to get close together..."


Further discussion about her lack of desire to comply.


Patience pays off and they achieve moderate success.
Left to right: Maren, Heidi, Gary, Carla, Tom, Laurel.


Further success (with some help from Heidi's husband!) Left to right: Maren, Gary, Heidi, Me, My Gary, Carla, Dave, Charmaine, Tom, Veronica, Rick, Laurel.




I love you Maren! I love how in a family of such strong personalities you are completely unafraid to have a mind of your own. Keep giving them a run for their money, it makes me laugh, and I'm pretty sure it's good for them!

4 comments:

the kings said...

Maren...you simply have to love her, but apparently she did not want to
love Heidi this particular day! Too cute! Thanks for posting.

Kell

Book Girl said...

This video clip cracks me up. I too love Maren and am glad to know she holds her own with such a rowdy crowd. I sent you a bunch of photos - some of them are actually pretty darn good - I especially like the one with Gary and his mother. Hope you are surviving the dance festival! Love the Mom xoxoxo

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

How funny! She's sweet. It was good to see you all for a minute.

By the way...what's this about interviews? In Utah?? I'm liking what I'm hearing!!

- Stac

laurelli said...

Just tell me I don't really look that fat in real life. I knew that "skinny" mirror in my bathroom would come back to haunt me one day...

Laurel