My Grandma Smith died this past weekend. For those of you keeping track, yes, that is my second Grandma in as many months. It is strange to have them go so close together, but I think both were ready, and that is some comfort.
Grandma Smith had been dealing with heart trouble for a long time. She'd been in pain, so of course we are glad that she is now free from that. Still, we will miss her. Grandma Smith was a grandma who did the kinds of things you would think a grandma should do. She was an amazing seamstress and cook. She made Christmas pajamas for her grandkids every year until she was no longer able. Even then she didn't stop the tradition. She bought Christmas pajamas clear through last year for even her great-grandkids. She has a lot of great-grandkids, so that's pretty impressive.
She can cook anything and her rolls are legendary. You should have seen the panic one year when we discovered she would be spending Thanksgiving with our cousins and we wouldn't have her rolls. I have her recipe (well, as close as she had to one anyway) and I will always treasure it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to make them turn out like hers because I'm a big cheater who uses the breadmaker, but I will try.
I remember many, many Christmas Eve dinners at her house. I remember playing with cousins in her basement, opening presents, pie and Christmas cookies. The opening of the pajamas was always an event. We would changed into them quickly and pose for pictures. I can't even imagine the number of Christmas-pajama-photos-with-cousins that must exist. I remember Grandma's tree. She made most of her ornaments and she has an ornament for every grandkid. I'm pretty sure that the picture of me she has on her tree is from the 9th grade. Green sweater, very poofy bob, big bangs. Last time I checked, it was still on the tree. I remember trying to do the dishes after dinner in her very small kitchen. It was always amusing to watch 5 grown women trip over each other as they tried to be helpful. She continued having Christmas Eve dinner at her house way later into her life than you might have thought she was capable. I never gave it as much thought as I should have at the time, but I'm sure it was an exhausting venture for her.
Another thing about grandma, she was extremely fair. She would never even consider doing something for one grandkid that she didn't do for another. One year I got a check, I think it was for back-to-school clothing. The check was for some weird amount like $27.08. When my mom questioned her about the amount, we learned that she had found jeans on sale for my cousins at that amount and so she was giving me the same. I don't think we would have been too upset with a check for $27 or even $25, but you have to love her for it don't you?
As I think about time at my grandma's house, I remember small things that I'm not even sure why I remember. I remember liking her shampoo. It was Herbal Essences which, when I was small, was dark green shampoo and the bottle had a drawing of a lady with long, flowing hair and flowers everywhere. I loved that she made bread and knew how to fry fish. I remember first trying canned peas at her house. At the time I thought they were much better than frozen, but don't worry, I'm over that now. I remember a lot of playing with cousins, particularly with the willow tree out back.
I love that in her later years she learned how to email. Her emails were hilarious, mostly chewing all of us out for not returning email more promptly. Speaking of prompt, my kids have always been amazed at her uncanny ability to send birthday money and have it arrive right on the birthday. Sometimes she misses by a day, but rarely has the card arrived more than one day off.
I remember that even though she wasn't always a very overyly-gushy kind of a grandma, she was always at my important events. Always. She came to swim meets, piano recitals, and all the rest. She did not have an easy life, and I respect her for the things she's been through and overcome. I repect that despite difficult circumstances she worked hard to give her children everything she could and she should be proud of the wonderful people they have turned out to be.
I love you grandma. I will miss you. Christmas Eve this year will be tough, and you will certainly be in our thoughts.
2 comments:
She was one tough lady...just to deal with grandpa for all of those years, UgHh! And sooo FAIR...I had to laugh at the $27.08, I've received those same odd amount checks, so funny!
Christmas Eve will never be the same. We'll miss you Grandma.
P.S. Great Pic
I love your tribute to my mom. Thanks so much and thanks for coming to her funeral. What a wonderful day we all had together remembering this great woman.
Love you, Mom
Post a Comment