Mothering is not an easy task, but fathering takes no back seat in my book. Heaven knows the world could use a few more great dads. I am amazed every day at how Gary balances home, work, and church responsibilities. I know when he's working hard in one area, there is a tendency to feel guilty about not giving the other areas enough, but even in his busiest med school years, none of us ever felt neglected. I can't believe how much we ask of our dad and how willing he is to do it all. He takes such good care of us, and never asks for anything in return beyond time for a bike ride now and then. The kids think he is the fun one. They think he can fix anything. They think he will appreciate the latest potty-humor joke they heard at school. They think he's the one to ask when they need help in math. They also think he's the one to ask when the ice-cream truck comes down our street. They are probably right on all counts, he is certainly the one to make the kids laugh so hard I worry about potty accidents at the dinner table, although he does have the gift of the 'evil eye' when someone is misbehaving. Thanks heavens one of us does! I can't imagine trying to raise kids with anyone else. (I want to point out that I used the word 'potty' twice in that paragraph. You would think I have children.)
As for my own dad, it is hard for me to describe what a good dad means to a girl. I am pretty sure that my sister and I married as well as we did in large part because of him. Kelly and I both grew up fully expecting that our future husbands would change diapers, cook, clean, braid hair, and smile behind the camera at every recital, ball game, and art show because that's what our dad did. It's what we expected, so it's what we got. When you are growing up and your dad truly thinks you are wonderful, you just figure your husband will think the same, and both of ours do. Boy have we got all of them fooled!
I love you Gary. I love you Dad. I have been blessed with tremendous men in my life. I'm a lucky girl.
Audrey and Gary at Bear Lake - 1994

Tanner and Gary the night of dad's departure for Iraq - 2006

Lauren and Gary at the elementary school in Hawaii - 2001

Ethan and Gary at Build-a-Bear just before Iraq- 2006

Annie and Gary at Enchanted Village amuement park - 2007

Jenn, Grandpa Steve, and Kelly skiing at Snowbasin - 2008
2 comments:
Happy Father's Day to Gary! We are so glad you are a part our our family - we just wish we saw you a bit more often. :) Hope it was a great day.
Ty, Kel and Crew
Many thanks Jenn for writing and sharing your thoughts about fathers. We love reading your posts and of course your dad was so happy to read your kind words. I loved seeing his teary eyes as he finished reading. He may not appreciate me telling the world about what a softie he is - but since he doesn't make comments......... Love the Mom
Post a Comment